Chanar Payesh is one of the most classic deserts from the heart of Bengal. This is a very popular dish in any festival occasion in Bengal. This is a creamy and authentic Indian sweet dish that you can easily make at home if you have any festival or guests are coming at your home.
- For making Chaana or crumbled paneer:
- 1 ltr Milk
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 big Cup of Cold water
- For Making Payesh:
- ½ ltr milk
- 5 Tbsp Sugar or as required
- 1 tsp cardamom or elaichi powder
- 1 Tbsp raisins and cashew nuts or Kaju Kismis
- 1-2 tsp all purpose flour or Maida
- 2 Tbsp Cold Milk
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
1. First make the Paneer or Chana. 2. Boil 1 liter milk and stir continuously. Now add lemon juice to curdle the milk. Stir for 1 -2 minutes as it would not take much time to curdle the milk. Remove it from gas oven. 3. Now, take cold water in a big bowl and add chaana into it. Wash it thoroughly with cold water as I make the chana with lemon juice. When I put this in milk for making payesh, the milk may curdle. So, it is necessary to wash the Chaana properly. 4. Take a muslin cloth and drain put the washed chana on it. Close the cloth tightly and drain all the water from the chana. 5. Keep the chana in a bowl. 6. Now, mashed the chana very well to make it soft and smooth. 7. Make small size round balls from the chana. 8. Now, heat ghee in a Kadai or pan and lightly fry the cashew-nuts and raisins. 9. Now, pour 1 ltr milk in the pan in low medium flame. 10. Add Sugar in the milk as per your taste. Boil the milk. 11. Once the milk boiled, add all the Chana or Paneer balls in the milk and make the flame medium. 12. Stir carefully in between continuously otherwise balls can stick to the bottom. 13. In the meantime, take a bowl; add flour and 2 Tbsp cold milk. Mix very well so that no lumps of flour will be present. Now, add this mixture in the Payesh. Stir it and cook for 1 minute more. 14. Your Chanar Payesh is ready to have.